Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Perfect Day

November 25, 2011.  It was the day I married my best friend, my soulmate, my love, my rock.  At the time, Kris and I had been together for a little more than 11 years, and we'd gone back and forth about the marriage issue.  Eventually all discussions would end with "What's the point, it's not legal here in Michigan" or "We don't have the money to spend on something like a wedding."  But then New York legalized gay marriage, Kris's sister wanted us to spend Thanksgiving with her in Woodstock, we knew our Broadway friends could be convinced to sing at any sort of shindig, and we figured that it would be a great time to throw an epic party to celebrate our relationship and to thank our families and friends for supporting us all these years. Kris popped the question, I thought she was kidding, she convinced me she wasn't joking, and that was that - a wedding was in the works.

It truly was a perfect day, from start to finish. Our parents and siblings were all there, as well as most of our closest friends and family members.  The weather was unusually warm.  The location suited us well - unique, warm, chic, quirky - and all the details just seemed to fall into place, with the help of everyone who was there.  It was a team effort, for sure, with people moving furniture, decorating the tables, setting up the bar, taking pictures, styling hair, rehearsing songs and ceremonies, and sewing on pieces of wedding dresses.  Having almost all of the guests "pitch in" made the event even more special, I think - they were able to help create a wonderful, special event that will forever be my happy place.

I have never felt such joy and peace as I felt on that day.  I thought I'd be nervous, but I wasn't.  I was simply happy, happier than I'd ever been.  I had no doubts that this was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.  I had no doubts that her children were people I wanted to know throughout their lives, as they grow into themselves and become who they're meant to be.  When I walked down the stairs and into our ceremony, I could not stop smiling.  Kris looked stunning.  She took my breath away, like the first time I saw her.  When we exchanged our vows, Kris's blew me away.  I knew she loved me, but I never really understood the impact I have had on her life until that moment.  I hope she felt the same way after hearing mine.  I am so lucky to have had this day, and this life, with this amazing person by my side.

Thanks to my friends Tempie and Malissa, who were married yesterday, for reminding me of my perfect day.

  

2 comments:

  1. You didn't mention your other favorite part... The kareoke version of ”At the Ballet.” One of my favorite days as well. Love you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I omitted that part. It has, um, affected me in such a way that I grab my ears and start rocking when I hear that song. That's a good thing, right?

    There's still time to get out to Michigan for a quick trip before it gets cold...just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete