Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Why I'm going to school...again

Growing up, I wasn't a fan of going to school.  I was always an above-average student, but the social aspect of school didn't make for a fun time.  I didn't really fit in -- due in part to bad haircuts, questionable fashion choices, and a lack of anything in common with my peers -- nor did I feel terribly challenged by or interested in my classes.  I succeeded in school because I was supposed to, not because I wanted to. I graduated with honors from both high school and college, and I still didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life.  I enrolled in a master's program because my job was boring and why not go back to school for a random degree?  I took some classes while working as a teacher because they were free and fulfilled my certification requirements.

At this point, I have a high school diploma, a bachelor of arts degree, a master's degree, and another half of a master's degree.  All of that education, and I didn't really want to be in most of those classes.  Don't get me wrong...I learned a lot, but most of the time I was going through the motions.

And here I am.  I'm enrolled in a program that actually interests me, a program that won't ensure a better job or higher social status, a program that will push me out of my comfort zone.  It's stuff I want to learn about so I can help fix public education.  I certainly don't need an EdD to do the work I'm doing, but I want to know more so I can do more.  I realize that I sound like a total nerd, but it's the truth.  I'm excited even though I'll be sacrificing a great deal of my free time (and most likely some of my sanity!).  I may be less excited, however, a few months and essays down the road....

No comments:

Post a Comment